Alpinestars GP Plus R Air Motorcycle Jacket - Product Review
Perfect for riding on those hot summer days
Alpinestars are monsters in the industry and have a reputable track record for providing quality protection, innovative features and style and my experience with them have not fallen short. When it comes to choosing the best motorcycle coat you really have to analyse some key qualities to make an informed decision. For me, these are protection, features, comfort, weather durability and of course the price. Let's go through them with the textile Alpinestars T-GP Plus R Air and see how it fairs up.
Keeps You Safe & Protected
This jacket is fitted with Bio Armour throughout the shoulders, elbows and you can also buy additional Bio Armour inserts for the chest area as well. The shoulders are then finished with a plasma DFS and sits as an external hard slider on top of an impact absorption panel. Think of it as a small well-armoured turtle sitting on your shoulders, now don’t you feel safe when you think of it that way?
The back of the Alpinestars T-GP R Air features a raised tempered foam which flows all the way down to your lats and is fitted with nucleon inserts (Nucleon KR1I and KR2I) providing extra protective padding and meets the CE Level 2 protection standard in the industry. I think it’s safe to say that this coat ticks off the level of protection requirement, so moving on.
The Alpinestars T GP Plus R Air is a brand new overhaul and has optimized its features to focus more on comfort, style and fit. As mentioned previously its key feature is it’s full mesh construction that vastly improves airflow for extra comfort in the hotter seasons.
The sleeves contain a volume metric adjuster across the bicep, while the Velcro hip and wrist adjusters are there to fit to your own personal preference. The back contains a brand new elasticised stretch panel to give a much more dynamic range of motion in the shoulder blade which allows you to reach for the bars in ¾ or in tuck position. The Neon green collar comes with a wicking material underneath so that it won’t chafe against your skin.
Above all these great points I can’t ignore how good I feel when I’m wearing this coat. Now I’m more a comfort over fashion kind of guy however the Alpinestar T-GP R Air has done an excellent job at incorporating both worlds. I really enjoy the new race-fit style of this jacket as opposed to it’s previous sports-fit predecessors which makes it much lighter in weight and feels far less bulky and if I’m going to be honest it kind of makes me feel a little like James Bond when wearing it…well maybe that’s just me!
Designed With Airflow & Weather Resistance
This jacket is great for summer and spring riding as the mesh lining inside and outside the coat gives great airflow even in the searing heat. However, I don’t think the T-GP R Air is very good for the winter or heavy rainfall as the jacket does not come with rain or thermal lining and is very thin and wouldn’t provide much comfort during the cold winters.
“I wouldn’t rely on it in heavy rainfall. This may be one of the only downfalls of this Alpinestars motorcycle jacket, and the reason I only gave them half a tick here.”
The Alpinestars T GP Plus R Air is a high quality, medium price range motorbike jacket. Personally I think this isn’t a bad deal as most other motorcycle jackets can be much more expensive. With all the new features you get with this jacket, I think it’s value for money is pretty good.
To read more about Alpinestars, click here.
Features That Make It A Great Choice For Summer Riding Conditions
- Constructed from a highly durable and abrasion resistant 600 Denier Polyester fabric main shell for long-lasting performance
- Full mesh construction internally and externally to optimize airflow.
- 2 outer pockets (non waterproof)
- 1 inner water resistant pocket with YKK zipper
- 2 internal removable windproof pouches
- Velcro panels on wrists and hips to adjust to your own comfort
- CE certified Bio Armor elbow and shoulder protectors
- Chest and back pad compartments with PE foam padding (CE certified chest back protector available as accessory)
- Race fit with pre‐curved sleeve construction for reduced fatigue and enhanced riding comfort
- Stretch poly-fabric inserts on sleeves for movement and fit
- 3D mesh collar construction plus padded textile wrist cuff edging for improved comfort and breathability
- Wrist and hip adjustment velcro straps
- Waist connection zipper allows attachment to Alpinestars riding pants
- Reflective details for improved rider visibility
Our Final Verdict
So basically the Alpinestars T-GP Plus R Air is a beautifully designed and well-crafted motorcycle jacket, which is light in weight, provides a good level of protection and is stylish enough to wear around on the street, AND is completely affordable because lets face it….if you can’t afford a decent jacket that will keep you safe if you happen to have an accident, then hold off getting on the bike for a while longer.
So there you have it, my two cents. Would I call the Alpinestars T-GP R Air the best motorcycle jacket ever? I wouldn’t go that far, but it is an excellent riding jacket (in the summer) and has some amazing features that I haven’t seen anywhere else…. yet.
And, for more top-rated reviews, go back to our homepage. Or if you want to see more of the same styles, you can go here.
- Ergonomic design to support arms and back
- Super high airflow
- Great quality in medium price range
- Need a 2nd jacket for colder months
- Not completely waterproof